Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Dr. Dr. Gimme the news....


I am 24 weeks pregnant as of yesterday!  Today is my monthly doctor appointment.  At this particular appointment I will take my gestational diabetes test.   Here is a little about this test:
(That picture says no food but I am allowed food.. However, that's just for the regular glucose tolerance test.  They just told me to monitor my sugar intake today for gestational diabetes test.)

What Is the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test for Gestational Diabetes?

The oral glucose tolerance test is used to screen for gestational diabetes. Gestational diabetes is a type of diabetes that can develop in some women late in pregnancy (usually after the 24th week). Women who develop gestational diabetes do not have diabetes before becoming pregnant.

When Is the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test for Gestational Diabetes Performed?

The test is generally given between the 24th and 28th week of pregnancy. If you have had gestational diabetes before, or if your health care provider is concerned about your risk of developing gestational diabetes, the test may be performed before the 13th week of pregnancy.

What Happens During the Oral Glucose Tolerance Test?

The oral glucose tolerance test involves quickly drinking a sweetened liquid (called Glucola), which contains 50 g of glucose. The body absorbs this glucose rapidly, causing blood glucose levels to rise within 30 to 60 minutes. A blood sample will be taken from a vein in your arm about 60 minutes after drinking the solution. The blood test measures how the glucose solution was metabolized (processed by the body)
That is what the drink looks like that you have to take.
Anyway, just thought I would be informative today!  I doubt I have it.  They make everyone take this standard test. 

No comments: